30/09/2014

FourPlay celebrates… Nintendo’s 125th Anniversary!

It’s been 125 years since Nintendo was born, and what a life it’s had! With many life-changing consoles and even more games, FourPlay are choosing which Nintendo game is the best of them all.

Melissa
For me when you say Nintendo, as much as I love the DS, I tend to always look more fondly towards the days of the Gameboy Colour. That's right, back when battery was the only power source and blocky pixels was seen as breakthrough technology. Sure Nintendo had already made its name with numerous successful Pokemon titles but personally one really stands out. The Pokemon Trading Card Game. Yeah instead of actually playing the card game the Gameboy colour version had me hooked. Probably because I had more of a chance of acquiring decent cards unlike my extensive collection of reject Oddish's. I digress the gameplay was simply awesome. For starters the tutorials were excellent for newcomers to the franchise with hints and tactics suggested from the outset. However they also catered to more experienced players with the freedom to customise multiple decks with no set base type. The main highlight was that they kept the essence of the original Pokemon as you fight your way through the club leaders in order to win medals. Yet the card game aspect doesn't take away any of the excitement from battle. With sophisticated attack animations and clear slick visuals it breathed new life into this iconic franchise. After investing many hours of my childhood into this game this fantastic adaptation of the table top classic is still my all time favourite.

Nat
If you can find a game that immerses yourself deep into a town where all the animals talk to you and demand you to do stuff, you’ve probably found Animal Crossing. I’ve always had fond memories of my Animal Crossing: Wild World days, reignited by the latest Animal Crossing, New Leaf. But Wild World captured a certain charm in my heart that no matter of enhanced character customisation or fancy graphics could ever replace. Being able to plunge into a carefree world full of gardening, fishing and bug catching was, and always will be a well-needed escape from real life. Building up the museum was my favourite part of the game, seeing how far you’ve come with your fossil, bug and fish collections was always a pleasant feeling. It was also the first time I used a wifi connection to play any game, mainly with the rest of my family who also had the game. The freedom to go visit each other’s town and run about causing havoc or sending presents to one another was a great experience that I’ll never forget. Hopefully there will be many more games in the Animal Crossing series, shown with the promising New Leaf. Yet I’m still in debt with that bloody raccoon Tom Nook, a bond that will never cease. Thank you Animal Crossing.


Tom
My favourite Nintendo game of all time is undoubtedly Super Mario Sunshine. It is a title from the forever expanding Mario franchise that was overlooked and is mainly praised by a small percentage of the Nintendo community. But chances are if you had a GameCube, you had Sunshine. The game incorporated stunning scenery as Isle Delfino was first brought into the Mario world. Each “zone” has its own standout characteristics and enhanced the game tenfold. It’s one of those games where you wish you were standing in place of Mario, appreciating the visuals whilst tackling the various missions in the game. The levels themselves had the original Mario flare, with a variety of platforms and the typical bad guys but Sunshine brought in a new depth of challenging missions, which were backed up by the powerful 3D visuals. The levels could sometimes be repetitive but the game has so much replay value and to this day I still have moments where I wish I was immersed in Sunshine. Also the incorporation of Yoshi was a strong point of the game and it helped detract from just playing solely as Mario, which becomes monotonous in any Mario game. Plus a colour changing Yoshi is always an added bonus. If Nintendo were to make a sequel, or even a remake of any game, then Sunshine is the only choice. It is unlike any game of its era and one that still brings back fantastic memories well over 10 years later.
Lakaiya
When I was about 8 or 9 I got a gameboy advance (which is still my favourite console ever) for Christmas. One of the games I got for it was a trading card game called Duel Masters, similar to Yugioh and Dragonball- Z. I'm not usually a fan of those types of games but Duel Masters soon became one of my go-to games. What I loved about it was it was more than just trading cards, there's was numerous tasks and battles you had to undertake before you could progress. The cards were split into four categories, Nature, Light Water, Fire - with Light being my favourite because I had won/collected them all and they we're the most powerful. Like most games there was a boss that I had to duel head to head with, but I remember being so scared of him I never actually completed the game. Which is slightly embarrassing but I was about 8 and didn't want nightmares so I'd say it's fair enough! I found some brilliant game capture of Duel Masters on YouTube and watching it back reminds me of when I was 8, staying up til about midnight every night trying to improve my deck. Nostalgia at it's realest.

No comments:

Post a Comment