19/04/2014

FourPlay's Life Changing Records

In honour of Record Store Day hitting independent record stores across the world today, we here at FourPlay have decided to highlight the records that have changed our lives.

Melissa
For me the album that had the most influence in my life has got to be 'Brand New Eyes' by Paramore. Sure it's not what most people would pick but it made such an impression on me at the time. Let me explain, back when I was younger it felt like everyone else knew what they wanted to do and where they wanted to be. I on the other hand had no clue about any of this and it led me to feel a little lost.  At this time I wasn't particularly interested in music, my taste was heavily limited to teen boy bands and chart music to my dismay nowadays may I add. But then this album was released and I instantly fell in love with their music. Not only is Hayley such a unique power-house of a singer but the lyrics were so sharp and immersive it had me hooked. However the biggest thing for me is that the album symbolised a transition in the bands career. At that time they were going through difficulties of their own. Loss, conflict and a whole lot of growing up, it was all prevalent throughout the album. For the first time I felt like I could relate to the music and it gave me some direction in my life.  This was because they were the gateway band that got me into so many other artists that I never would have discovered without listening to Paramore. It was easily one of the first albums I could listen to front to back with every track being just as powerful as the last. So for me this album put me down the path of actually exploring a wide variety of music and it opened my eyes to the possibilities of being a part of the music industry in one way or another.


Nat
My life-changing album has surely got to be Tonight Alive with ‘The Other Side’I had this album sitting on my CD rack for a few months and never got round to listening to it. Until a couple of months ago, when I was feeling very down on my luck, and fancied something to rock out to. What I found with this album was so much more.  The pure depth in the lyrics and just how much I could relate to each and every song meant I’d found my new favourite album. And after listening to their other material, a new favourite band.The kickass instrumentals in the background compliment the lyrics and give the songs the entire package. My personal favourite song in the album is definitely ‘The Other Side’ as this song spoke to me the most and I could listen to it on repeat for hours on end. Then again, I can listen to the entire album on loop for days and it finally got me out of the rut I was in.  I never knew an album could have such a positive effect on my life and it has definitely made me feel that my luck is changing for the better.


Lakaiya
First off I need to state I do not have a life-changing album. I have several albums that have had a huge impact on my life and have shaped the person who I am today. One of those albums is Kelis’ Flesh Tone. My whole outlook on life changed after listening to that album. This record taught me that “Life’s too short to waste your time, do what you love, don’t be a sheep it’s better have peace, fly up like a dove” as she sings on my favourite song of all time ‘Emancipate’. There’s honesty to all of Kelis’ music but every song on this album resonated with me. I try to live as unapologetically as possible and always speak my mind, which I have this record to thank for.
That’s why I decided to choose this album to introduce to people that may not have heard of it or listened to it for Record Store Day – so go and listen to it and get your life!

P.s did I mention that every song on this record is guaranteed to get up off your feet and celebrate living?!

Tom
There are a number of albums that have influenced me in different ways but there is only one which opened me up to a whole new dimension of music. Metallica’s “...And Justice For All” is the sole reason why I started learning to play instruments throughout my life and got myself into bands. It is also the album which was my gateway into Rock and Metal. Before I heard this album, I was listening to the same old cheesy Pop music and maybe the occasional Indie band. However, the main thing that makes “...AJFA” an iconic album in my life is its longevity. The craftsmanship of each song is perfect and it feels timeless. The riffs are heavy, the solos are mind-blowing and the vocals are raw. The entire album takes you out of orbit on a journey like no other. It is a beautiful tribute to their late bass player and music maestro, Cliff Burton. Plus if you’re gonna start listening to heavier music, you may as well listen to the masters of the genre. Metallica prove that there is such thing as true perfection, and it is the nine songs on the 1988 album.


2 comments:

  1. Post about artists that actually have fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least their all friends I bet you don't even have friends.

    ReplyDelete