23/03/2014

Lady Gaga - G.U.Y | Video Review by Lakaiya & Melissa


Lakaiya's review
When I first heard ARTPOP I really hoped that Gaga made G.U.Y a single or at least made a video for it, so when she did announce it as the next single from the album, I was pretty excited. And after the disappointment of the Do What U Want video not being released, for this video I would've accepted nothing less than an over the top, extravagant, 10 minute long, true Gaga like video.

This video gave me what I'm sure every other little monster around the world hoped for too, Lady Gaga back in control again.
But what I loved the most about this video, even after watching it about 13 times is that: I have no idea what the hell is going on but the visuals are great and Gaga looks amazing. 
Embedded image permalink
Unlike many music videos today, there was no product placement to be seen in the 11 minute long video. In fact the only thing Gaga was advertising in the video is her love and passion for ARTPOP, by featuring four of the songs off the album in the video.  

Yes, the video is an enjoyable one and my eyes were glued to the screen from start to finish, I didn't gasp once and I was definitely not blown away either. Predictable. It feels like every dance routine Gaga does in near enough all her videos are the same. I knew she was going to be naked in the video, I knew she'd touch herself. Yeah that's hot, whatever, but who isn't doing those things in their videos? 
Embedded image permalink
But the most annoying thing of all about this video for me,  was that it was meant to be for all the fans that have stuck by Gaga and always supported her etc. But after the tedious 3 minute long credits mentioning everyone from 'Lady Gaga masseuse' to 'Crafty Assistant' and my personal favourite 'Truck Driver', it was a little bit of a kick in the teeth that her fans, the people that have always supported her get no shout out!
Embedded image permalink
It isn't all bad, like I said, Lady Gaga looked insanely sexy and once I figure out what the message of the video is and why the cast of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hill are in the video, maybe then I'll love it even more, but until then I'm afraid it's only the one paw up for me, Gaga.

Melissa's Review


I've got to say that Gaga's videos have never really left me feeling inspired. Yes the production is incredible and the sheer amount of effort put into each one is commendable. However G.U.Y left me with the exact same impression as the rest of her video backlogue, too focused on convoluted messages.



Lets be honest here, trying to follow the plot to this is like trying to figure out who Jack the Ripper is, it isn't going to happen. The beginning was fine, transforming from death to goddess was easy enough to understand but then it slowly started to unravel. I mean come on what relevance does the desperate housewives have in this? And the paper bear costume that randomly appeared just added to my confusion. Not to mention it succeeded to make Gaga look pretty ridiculous. Oh and don't get me started on the man in the sky either, I think she may have stolen that idea from the Teletubbies.



Between these scenes Gaga certainly got back to what she's good at, dominating each scene change with some killer choreography. Additionally to her credit the whole elysian theme does come across strong with references to Egyptian and Greek mythology. Although yet again unnecessary idea's and concepts are thrown in haphazardly in order to spark response. Having someone revive dead icons such as Jesus and Ghandi with Minecraft, where's the relevance here?!


Overall I commend Gaga for making this video visually a sight to behold. However I just wish for once she'd strip back the nonsense in order for her songs to really speak for themselves. Besides having the video end with three minutes of credits is absurd. Sorry Gaga it's going to take a lot more from you to get my applause.

 

3 comments:

  1. Love it and completely agree with both. Melisa yours was so true, I respect gaga visually but she is a little pompous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved both reveiwes but melissa explanation hit the nail on the head, gaga give us something we dont expect xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lakaiya -
    I respect your opinion but I think it's flippant to say it was predictable...of course it wasn't - aside from it's going to be a lady in few clothes but many outfits dancing around in different places miming to her music with a story involved...that is pop culture...Katy Perry, Jessie J, Beyonce all do the same...the man talking in the sky, the real housewives, the theatrical elements in there and some of the sets were definitely not predictable. I don't think you should be so negative about the ending credits...I think it's nice she has thrown in the credits and really given her respects to the people who helped her make the video reality...I think it's simply silly to say that she didn't put her fans in the credits? A shout out to them helping her make the video when really they didn't do anything? She says how much she loves her fans all the time....

    Melissa-
    'Lets be honest here, trying to follow the plot to this is like trying to figure out who Jack the Ripper is, it isn't going to happen.'
    The real housewives were there to represent the world of celebrity as holy figures...the guy who created the the real housewives series is the guy in the sky. It's all a social commentary..it's ironic.
    You said that there are 'unnecessary ideas and concepts' in there and then you list one which you don't understand. One of themes running through the video was an icon or famous person being killed by their own people...Gaga at the start and then Jesus and Ghandhi. Please don't be so flippant and dismiss the 'nonsense' just because you don't understand it.
    Overall I thought it was a nice video with a nice plot...some might think it's hard to understand but the truth is it's not it just requires a bit of observation...not like most music videos that come out these days...not everything was to my taste...some of the clothes and styling of the dancers, but the sets and cinematography was really really great.

    ReplyDelete